Level 1 Windsurfing Instructor
Level 1 Windsurfing Instructor Certification
Course Information and Prerequisites
- Swimming skills that enable the instructor candidate to successfully complete the US SAILING Swim/PFD Test and be comfortable and effective in the water
- Intermediate to advanced windsurfing skills, including rigging, de-rigging, general board handling and maneuvering, and leaving and returning to a dock or beach
- Intermediate to advanced knowledge of windsurfing related subjects such as theory (how a sail works, steering a sailboard), no-go zone, points of sail, sail trim and tuning, wind, weather, tides, currents, safety, hypothermia, heat emergencies, rescue techniques
- Current US SAILING Individual Membership
- Completed application form accompanied course fee
- Completed Medical Form given to the Instructor Trainer at the course before the course begins
Length and capacity of course
The course is 4-days, with 4-12 candidates participating.
Validation of instructors
Certification may be granted to those who pass the following:
1. Swim/PFD Test - Practical Evaluation
2. Windsurfing Skills Test - Practical Evaluation
3. Safety Boat Operation Skills Test (Optional) - Practical Evaluation
4. Simulator: Demonstration & Communication Skills - Practical Evaluation
5. Teaching & Communication Skills - Practical Evaluation
6. Teaching & Coaching Fundamentals for Sailing - Written
7. Level 1 Windsurfing Instructor Knowledge Test - Written
8. Instructor candidates are required to attend the course in its entirety in order to be evaluated for qualification
Absence from any part of the course will exclude the instructor candidate from evaluation.
The Windsurfing Instructor card will be valid for three years providing First Aid, CPR and US SAILING membership are kept current. Instructor certification can be renewed at the end of the three year period by recertifying.
Minimum age limit
1. A US SAILING-recognized Level 1 Windsurfing Instructor must be at least 18 years old.
2. To attend a US SAILING instructor course, the instructor candidate must be at least 16 years old. Upon successful completion of an instructor course, the 16 year old will be designated a Sailing Assistant until turning 18, at which time he/she must contact the Training Office to obtain an instructor card.
The training materials for the Level 1 Instructor Course include the following:
1. Start Windsurfing Right! (student manual)
2. Teach Windsurfing Right! (instructor manual)
3. Teaching & Coaching Fundamentals for Sailing
4. Review questions for Instructor Knowledge and Teaching & Coaching Fundamentals for Sailing tests.
5. Written tests for Instructor Knowledge and TCF. Distributed and administered at course.
6. Other handouts and course information as applicable.
To receive course materials for pre-course study, US SAILING must receive the completed application and course fee payment at least 2 weeks prior to the course. There are approximately 400 pages to read, so plan on studying each night of the course.
Equipment requirements and preparation
Instructor candidates are typically expected to bring an appropriate sailboard and equipment in keeping with basic instruction. These include:
1. Regular recreational board (without foot straps) with a rig suitable for basic maneuvers.
2. Suitable clothing, including footwear, appropriate to the weather and water conditions. The condition of the clothing and equipment should be what is expected of a qualified instructor.
3. Other equipment should include an approved life jacket (PFD), tow rope, whistle and knife/marlinspike.
Each instructor candidate is responsible for production of teaching aids/props, graphs, flip charts, etc. as required in the presentation of his/her assigned lectures. Lecture subjects will be assigned upon receipt of course application and fee. Late applicants will have the same responsibilities regarding lecture preparation.
The course fee is $300 per instructor candidate, plus US SAILING membership, which includes Instructor General Liability Insurance. Payment must be received at least 1 week prior to the course or a late fee of $50 will be charged in addition to the course fee. The course registration fee is not refundable. In the event that you need to cancel, your payment may be applied to a future course date.