Small Boat Level 3 Coach
Small Boat Level 3 Coach
The US Sailing Small Boat Level 3 Coach Workshop provides coaches with information on how to effectively develop performance boat handling and racing skills and instill in athletes the importance of ethical behavior and sportsmanship in the sport of sailing. It is a two day classroom and on the water workshop that includes topics such as race management procedures, team management and logistics and drills.
This is a 2-day, 20-hour course. Absence from any portion of the course excludes the instructor candidate from evaluation.
Prerequisites for entrance into the course
1) Completion of Small Boat Instructor Level 2 Course and accompanying certification.
2) Coaching experience in small boats, such as prams, dinghies, multihulls or day sailing keelboats.
course or other tests will receive a Plan of Improvement, re-testing for which carries a fee of $75
3) Current US Sailing Adult Individual Membership or a family membership with only 1 instructor in the family.
4) Completed course registration form accompanied by appropriate course fees (and any late charges)
5) Complete the US Sailing Medical Form
6) Ability to exhibit appropriate personal and interpersonal skills.
Requirements for Successful completion of course
• Attendance at all portions of the course. Absence from any portion of the course excludes the instructor candidate from evaluation
• Personal and Interpersonal Practical Skills: Demonstrate professional conduct, an open-minded, positive and enthusiastic attitude, appropriate appearance (clothing, footwear and tidiness), participation in discussions, collaboration skills/team player, confidence and ease of manner.
• A positive evaluation by the Instructor Trainer.
• Post-course online testing including Positive Coaching Alliance training (link will be provided by IT).
The determination as to whether a candidate passes or fails rests with the Instructor Trainer. In addition to Pass or Fail, a third option is a Plan of Improvement. Re-testing for Plans of Improvement carries a $75 re-testing fee; re-tests are scheduled with specific representatives of US Sailing and must be performed within a specific time frame.
Training Material for the Level 3 Coach Course
Small Boat Level 3- Coach Workbook
Racing Rules of Sailing
Sailing Drills Made Easy
Validation of Small Boat Level 3 Coaches
Validation will be for three years providing First Aid, CPR, and US Sailing Adult membership are kept current. Instructor validation is renewable. Visit the website or contact the office for more information.
• Current First Aid and Adult CPR. We will accept First Aid and CPR from the American Red Cross, American Heart Association, or providers approved by the U.S. Coast Guard. See the current list. Additionally, a state licensed EMT or M.D., whose CPR certification is renewed annually is also accepted.
Registration is on a first pay basis. US Sailing will not reserve spots without full payment.
The course registration fee is:
$315 if received more than four (4) weeks prior to course start date
$295 if received within four (4) weeks of course start date
$365 if received within one (1) week of course start date
• Course fees are nonrefundable but are transferable to another course/date if the Training office is given enough notice:
• More than four weeks before the course start date: Fee is transferable to another course.
• Within the four week of course start date: ½ half of course fee is transferable to another course
• Less than 24 hours notice of course start date (or no-show), 100% of the course fee is forfeited.
In order to register, I understand that I must either hold a Small Boat Level 2 Certification or be registered for a Level 2 course preceding this Level 3 course.