Small Boat Level 3 Coach TrainerCOURSE DESCRIPTION
The US Sailing Small Boat Sailing Level 3 Coach Trainer Course certifies qualified US Sailing coaches to train sailing instructors to teach the level 3 coach course.The Level 3 Coach Trainer Course is conducted by Master Coach Trainers who are experts in the field of sail training and coaching.
The areas covered during the two- day Coach Trainer Course include:
-Communicative and interpersonal skills
-Team building techniques
-Development of coaching aids and drills
-Video feedback on coaching styles
-Problem solving skills
The goals of the Level 3 Coach Trainer Course are as follows:
1. To train professionals in the methods and theories of the US Sailing Coach Training Program;
2. To provide CoachTrainer candidates with the information, tools, and confidence to conduct a successful Small Boat Sailing Level 3 Coach Course.
PREREQUISITES FOR ENTRANCE INTO THE COURSE
1. Current Small Boat Level 1 or 2 Instructor or Coach Trainer Certification
( exceptions may be made based on applicants qualifications)
2. Coach Trainer candidates should have at least three years teaching or coaching experience in an approved sail training program.
3. A high level of sailing and coaching skills is expected. Coach Trainer candidates should be competent in any boat in any situation.
5. Current USCG approved CPR and First aid certification (through an approved provider). CPR and First Aid certification are not required to take the course but are required for certification as an Instructor Trainer. A state licensed EMT or M.D. whose CPR certification is renewed annually is also accepted.
6. Prerequisites also include submission of the names of two references who are familiar with the candidate's recreational activities covering sailing, teaching and general employment pertinent to becoming an Instructor Trainer.
7. Current US Sailing membership is required.
8. As a condition of maintaining your status as an Instructor Trainer, US Sailing requires that you register for a background check through the NCSI upon acceptance into the course.
CURRICULUM AND TIME ALLOTMENTS
It will be a 18 hour 2 day course.
VALIDATION OF US SAILING COACH TRAINERS
Validation of an Coach Trainer will be for one year and continues at the recommendation of US Sailing. The CoachTrainer is expected to maintain the highest level of professionalism and teaching quality and to support the US Sailing Training Program. The Coach Trainer is hired by US Sailing as a temporary consultant and receives compensation only for instructor courses conducted, including associated responsibilities. To remain active, a Coach Trainer must teach a minimum of one course every two years and maintain current First Aid, CPR and US Sailing membership.
The fee for the two-day course is $200 Payment must be made by credit card or check payable to US Sailing and must be received at least three (3) weeks prior to the course. Late payment is subject to a $50 fee.
Note if you are accepted to both Level 2 Instructor Trainer Course and Level 3 Coach Trainer Course then the fee is $350 for both courses.
Applications for Level 3 Coach Trainer Courses are accepted on an ongoing basis, regardless if a course is currently listed on the schedule. On average, US Sailing runs one Level 3 Coach Trainer course per year either on the east coast, or west coast. Please note that submission of an application does not constitute acceptance to the course. Applications are reviewed by the IT-CT Candidate Selection Committee and those candidates who are selected will be invited to attend. Candidates not selected will be notified in writing.
The application can be found here
Once complete, please save the form and send it to firstname.lastname@example.org with the email title line "Level 3 CT Application" Forms can also be mailed to the US Sailing Office, 15 Maritime Drive, PO Box 1260, Portsmouth RI, 02871 or faxed to 401-683-0840.